POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help needed with Hamapatch - helmet.jpg (0/1) : Help needed with Hamapatch - helmet.jpg (0/1) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Help needed with Hamapatch - helmet.jpg (0/1)
From: Jet Jaguar
Date: 9 Mar 2002 16:11:29
Message: <cauk8uk7io9tqkffsj77p97699u84kpmrj@4ax.com>
I'm just starting using Hamapatch, and I need some help.  I'm trying
to make a motorcycle-style helmet, and in the area around the face
opening I'm getting what I call "pinching".  The control points seem
to be smooth in Hamapatch, but in the previews and tests I've done, it
appears the surface is pinched together, or there are creases where
the CP's appear smooth.

I've done some research to figure out how to fix this, but everything
I've read says this is just an artifact of the OpenGL preview and it
won't render that way.  But this is clearly not the case because I
still see the pinching in the test renders I've done with POV-Ray.
Any advice how to go about fixing this, or perhaps something I can
tweak in Moray?  I've already noticed I can reduce the effect by
increasing the U and V steps and setting flatness to 0, but this
doesn't eliminate the problem completely.

In the picture attached, the left image is a snapshot of the helmet in
Hamapatch, with the trouble areas indicated by orange arrows.  The
picture on the right shows a test render.  The helmet was exported to
Moray using the sPatch Moray export plugin, a white plastic-like
material was applied, then rendered with POV-Ray 3.1g.  It is not
caused by the export process because I still get the pinching when I
render directly from Hamapatch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

---
Bob Chmilnitzky (a.k.a. Jet Jaguar)
I have a spam blocking address.  Replying to me is like pulling teeth.
Visit my crappy home page at http://home.att.net/~chmilnir/
MSTie #54297

Crossposting makes Baby Jesus cry.